So things are changing up around here a bit! Which is exciting but at the same time it’s taking some getting use to. With all my furniture makeovers I have been shooting them (mostly) in natural light using my living room wall as a backdrop………
So that would mean that I would have to pack up my living room to allow enough room to stage and shoot my furniture. Just to create a picture for you the only thing that would stay here is my oak sideboard. It was a lot of extra work and a lot of hassle. The only benefit was that it forced me to clean under my couch every time I packed up the room…..underneath my couch has never stayed so clean!
But I have managed to take over a space in my father-in-laws home (which is the main house on the farm where we live) and use that as a designated shooting space and storage area for my completed furniture projects. The only thing I don’t like is that I have no usable natural light so all shoots are now done with studio lighting….which is fine but I do prefer the look of natural light. What I love though is that it is a huge room that has a gorgeous painted brick wall that I will shoot against! I plan to paint it as it currently has a slight yellow tinge to it but for the time being it will do. The makeover I am sharing with you today is the first one shot in the new studio space so I would really love to hear what you think about the new look.
I originally bought this tall chest of drawers for a client but they endedup wanting something a little more feminine, which is never disappointing for me as it means I have the chance to impart my vision onto the piece. The person I bought them from had already stripped it and had started staining the body already, it came without handles which never bothers me as I like to put on new hardware anyway.
I knew immediately I wanted to do something with an industrial look and I really wanted to try out one of the new Miss Mustard Seed European Colours. Generally, when creating a plan I start with paint colour but this time I started with the hardware. In this case I chose to use hardware from D. Lawless Hardware….and I wanted to mix things up a bit and use these knobs for the top smaller drawers and these cup pulls and these label holders for the lower large drawers. All of this hardware went together as they are black with copper highlights, when mixing hardware like this I always try to have them make sense together so choosing similar colours created a cohesive look.
Once the hardware was chosen I decided upon MMS Milk Paint in Marzipan which is a really light cream with just a hint of pink…..I actually really love it as a neutral and it reminds me so much of Grain Sack but with a pink undertone instead of the slight grey that Grain Sack has (both of these colours have a chameleon-like quality as they can change depending on the room they are in and the light – I actually think that is what I like about them!). I will definitely be using it on another piece in the future. As a lighter colour it did take a lot of coats to get the coverage I like, I think it was 3-4 coats (4 on the darker sides and 3 on the drawers). Before I painted it though I had to strip the top and stain it as I wanted a nice deep dark top to go with my hardware (in the before picture I have already done this….I almost forgot to take a before photo!). Once the staining was done I used wood filler on the large drawers to fill in the old hardware holes.
When it comes to replacing hardware I recommend to always do any measuring and drilling BEFORE you paint, but I had to wait for my hardware to arrive so in this case I painted first…which complicates things as I like to do a LOT of marking and measurements to make sure alignments are perfect. It took me longer to attach the hardware because of this but generally it is simple as long as you double check your measurements before drilling.
I added handlettering with MMS Milk Paint in Typewriter to the large drawers which I really think along with the hardware gives it that industrial look. Just in case you are wondering the letters and numbers mean nothing…..just random. 🙂 I finished with some distressing and a coat of wax. I am loving using wax on the wood tops now and have been using it instead of varnish. I personally prefer a more matte finish to my furniture and wax seems so much more of an organic/natural choice with a natural product like wood.
I would love to hear back from you about what you think of the changes I have made as well as thoughts on this latest project. As always I love hearing from you all, your opinions and thoughts matter to me and I try my best to respond to each and everyone!
Compensation for this post was made by D Lawless Hardware. All opinions expressed here are my own.
You may find me linking up to:
House of Hipsters | Classy Clutter | Live Laugh Rowe
Sparkles of Sunshine | Making it in the Mountains | The DIY Mommy
Snap Creativity | The DIY Dreamer | Home Stories A to Z | Miss Mustard Seed
AKA Design & Life | Sand & Sisal | Mum Takes Five | DIY Showoff
Funky Junk Interiors | Dwell Beautiful | Anderson + Grant